Dixon Carnegie Library
Preservation Society


Dixon Womens Improvement Club
on the steps of the Carnegie Library
~circa 1920~
  • The original Carnegie library building is in danger of being torn down after serving the community for almost 100 years

  • One of the last historic buildings in Dixon will be gone

  • Other historic buildings have already gone up in flames

In the early 1900's Andrew Carnegie was offering funds to communities in the U.S. to build public libraries.

The Dixon Womens Improvement Club applied for one of these grants and Mrs. O. C. Schulze donated the land on B Street. The money from Carnegie was only to be used for the building.

The DWIC had to prove "civic determination and ongoing financial support." A tax measure was approved in 1911 which would provide the funding for library services. Carnegie sent a check for $10,000 and the Dixon Public Library became a reality. The Mission Revival architectural style was chosen in order to match the Post Office building next door.

The library building was completed in December 1912 and the dedication was held in February 1913. The Carnegie Library has been proudly serving the Dixon community since its dedication.

Dixon is a small town with easy access to metropolitan areas. Many families move here because of our small town charm and quality of life.

Our historic buildings are a part of that charm. They connect us to our past and remind us of a time when life was a little bit more simple and safer.

The current General Plan for the city of Dixon states that one of the goals of the city is "to protect, preserve and enhance the significant historic features of the Dixon area to the maximum extent feasible."

By preserving the original Dixon Carnegie Library, we can preserve a piece of our history.


OUR FUTURE... OUR PAST... OUR LIBRARY

For more information, email info@dclps.org... Or visit us on


(Images courtesy of Dixon Public Library Archives)